Ok... I rode from Los Angeles California to the southern tip of South America, and back. I started out with a friend from Alberta Canada - Larry is a rancher whom I met when I rode to Alaska a few years earlier and had stayed in touch with. He had recently bought a new bike and wanted to go for a ride. So we set our sights on Tierra Del Fuego. But, he had to turn back in Colombia. Then I rode with Brian from England, Patrick from Ireland, and Damon from New Zealand, from Columbia to Santiago Chile. After that, I was on my own.

This was an exciting trip for a number of reasons. It was over 30,000 miles thru Latin America and the Andes mountains, and I didn't speak much Spanish. There was also the small detail of the Darien Gap. And, then there was "Death Road" in Bolivia - supposedly the most dangerous road in the world.

Anyway, I blogged about the entire journey right here.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Darien Crossing II - Capurgana Colombia

Ok, this was my second crossing of the infamous Darien Gap and I wanted a little different experience this time.  On my way south I had taken a sailboat from Carti on the northern coast of Panama directly to Cartagena on the northern coast of Colombia.  This time I would be a little more challenging as I would be catching a speed boat in Turbo across the bay to Capurgana, smack dab in the middle of the Darien, on the Caribbean coast just a few kilometers from the Panama border.  I had to do export throught the customs office before I left Turbo.  But, I would wait to do my exit processing and get my passport stamped at the tiny Migrations office in Capurgana, a tiny village with no motor vehicles.  From there I would take another small boat ride across the border into Panama arriving in a the tiny village of Puerto Obaldia.  There I would wait for a week to catch a ride on a Kuna cargo boat that would stop at villages along the San Blas islands eventually making its way to Portobelo Panama where there was a road.




























No comments:

Post a Comment