Ok... I rode from Los Angeles California to the southern tip of South America, and back. I started out with a friend from Alberta Canada - Larry is a rancher whom I met when I rode to Alaska a few years earlier and had stayed in touch with. He had recently bought a new bike and wanted to go for a ride. So we set our sights on Tierra Del Fuego. But, he had to turn back in Colombia. Then I rode with Brian from England, Patrick from Ireland, and Damon from New Zealand, from Columbia to Santiago Chile. After that, I was on my own.

This was an exciting trip for a number of reasons. It was over 30,000 miles thru Latin America and the Andes mountains, and I didn't speak much Spanish. There was also the small detail of the Darien Gap. And, then there was "Death Road" in Bolivia - supposedly the most dangerous road in the world.

Anyway, I blogged about the entire journey right here.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Bolivia II

Ok. This was my second trip into Bolivia.  The first trip lasted a full month and included, Death Road, the Amazon, Lake Titikaca, the Potosi Silver Mines, the Salar de Uyuni and tracking down Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.  Many of the miles I rode thru Bolivia were on dirt roads of varying condition, sometimes in wet weather, making for much slower than usual progress.  Why should I have thought this time would be different?  After crossing the border from Paraguay, the poorly maintained paved roads immediately turned completely to dirt.  To make matters worse, I ran out of money before reaching a town large enough to have a bank.  But they did have a Western Union - Go figure!  Anyway, I was stuck in a tiny Bolivian town for a day without any money.  Thankfully my sis was kind enough to send me enough to make it to a town large enough to have a bank.  So, what was suppose to be a one day ride from the border to Sucre, tuned into 3 days.  But, it was interesting!  That’s Bolivia for you.

The Bolivian Immigrations Office at the frontier border crossing
























No comments:

Post a Comment